What is a High Court Enforcement, and What Will Happen?

1. For the process to be initiated, a creditor or claimant must apply for a Writ of Control to a County Court, Tribunal or High Court. The order is registered with the Registry Trust and would remain in the register for six years. Banks and lenders search the registry before granting you a loan. This order tells the High Court Enforcement to visit you and request the payment of the debt.

2. A letter of notice will be given to you from the HCEO informing you that he or she will give you a call. The practice is that a seven-day notice will be provided.

3. After the seven-day notice is up, the HCEO visits your home and requests that you pay up your debt in full. If you cannot comply with this order, then they’ll confiscate your property. An HCEO may also visit your business property. In that case, they’ll confiscate your goods until you comply with the order.

4. The HCEO then makes a list of items that would be sold if you eventually don’t pay up. If you are lucky, they will let you keep your goods and allow you to pay the debt in installments. This is called a controlled goods agreement. However, if you break the agreement, they will come back and remove the goods.